Applying to the program
Applicants to the MIT EMBA Program must complete the following steps.
B. Complete the online application. The application is now open for the Class of 2017 (matriculating October 2015).
Your online application must include:
1. Statement of purpose
Please provide a statement indicating your qualifications, why you are pursuing the MIT Executive MBA Program, and what you will contribute to the program. (500 words or less, limited to one page)
Present a standard business format covering education and work experience. Please be specific about dates. (two page limit)
3. Three essays (For the class matriculating October 2015)
Essay #1: The educational mission of the MIT Sloan School of Management is to "develop principled, innovative leaders who improve the world." Please discuss how you will contribute toward advancing this mission based on examples of past work and activities. (500 words or less, limited to one page)
Essay #2: During your career, what is the hardest challenge that you have had to solve? Consider examples when more than one viable solution was present. (500 words or less, limited to one page)
Essay #3: Tell us about a time within the past three years when you had to give difficult feedback to a peer. (500 words or less, limited to one page)
As part of the MIT Executive MBA curriculum, you will participate in Organizations Lab (O-Lab). This Action Learning course focuses on making a substantive improvement in the performance of your organization, usually by fixing one of its processes.
Identify something, within your organization, upon which to improve. (This does not have to be a large change initiative, small improvements to a process can have a big impact). Please describe the change and why you might chose it? This can be something you have tried to improve in the past and has yet to be realized (whether based on lack of expertise or tools). (500 words or less, limited to one page)
4. Letters of recommendation*
Letters of recommendation are sent directly to the Admissions Committee via the online application system. (Two are required; the third is optional.) At least one should come from your organization (preferably a supervisor/superior). If the requested recommendations are not received by the deadline, your application cannot be considered. More information on recommendations.
5. Official transcripts
Include transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions of study. Copies of transcripts should be scanned and uploaded into the online application system, not mailed in. Be sure to request transcripts from your school(s) well in advance. Successful applicants will be asked to submit official paper copies prior to matriculation.
6. Organizational Chart
You will need to include an organizational chart that outlines the internal structure of your department or company. You may choose which to provide for a chart for; however, please provide as much information as possible with the understanding that some information may be privileged.
Interviews are by invitation only. An interview request signals that your application has reached an advanced stage of consideration.
The admissions committee reviews applications and interviews selected candidates on a rolling basis. If you are seeking an early decision, apply early in the admissions cycle. Admission decisions are generally made within 4-6 weeks of application submission.
For more insights into the program and the admissions process, view our latest webinars or join us for an information session.
- Register your interest in the MIT Executive MBA Program.
- Review the essential details of the MIT EMBA Program.
- Watch the most recent MIT EMBA admissions webinars.
- Read what students say about the MIT EMBA experience.
*Letters of recommendation
Two or three letters of recommendation must be sent directly to the Admissions Committee via the online application system. (Two are required; the third is optional.) At least one of the recommendations should come from your organization (preferably a supervisor/superior).
In the application system, each recommender is asked to (a) rate you on certain criteria and (b) complete a reference letter.
- Leadership potential
- Energy and initiative
- Ability to develop others
- Ability to work in a team
- Broad perspective and intellectual curiosity
- Creativity and resourcefulness
- Analytical thinking and reasoning
- Oral and written communication skills
You are encouraged to discuss your professional goals with your recommender prior to nominating him/her. Each recommender will receive the following instructions:
- Through your reference letter, we are interested in learning specific examples of both intellectual and professional achievement of the person you are recommending. Furthermore, we would like you to highlight how the applicant indicates potential for success as a business leader, with particular emphasis on his or her character.
- To do so, please think about how long and in what capacity you have known the applicant. How does he or she stand out from others who have shared a similar role? How does the applicant interact with others; can you provide examples of when he or she has had an impact on a person, group or organization? How does the applicant defend his or her ideas; can you provide an example? Is there an area where the applicant has room for professional growth? How will the MIT Executive MBA contribute to that growth?
- The reference letters are the most helpful to applicants when they point to actual observations of the candidate’s actions. Please be as specific as you can be when you are writing, giving detailed examples where possible.
Note: If you are a supervisor or superior writing on behalf of a company-sponsored applicant, please indicate how/if the individual was nominated for the MIT Executive MBA and what plans exist, if any, for increased or shifted responsibilities after he or she has completed the program.
“It’s exhilarating to learn something on Friday that you know can transform your organization on Monday."
Shawn Atlow, ’13
Los Angeles Unified School District